Councils Ranger investigates a number of complaints within the shire including Companion Animal Matters, Parking, Abandon Vehicles, Overgrown Blocks, Illegal Dumping and Littering.

If you have a complaint during business hours please contact Council directly and your complaint will be lodged as a request for the Ranger to investigate. The following information will be needed for the matter to be forwarded onto our Ranger.

Your Name and Contact details. This is required in the event our Ranger needs further information or clarification on the issues you have raised you may be contacted directly. This information remains confidential at all times.

The address of the property/ location of the complaint – Our Ranger needs to know exactly where the incident is occurring so they can attend to the matter and resolve the issue.

Times of when the incident is occurring – If the incident is occurring now our Customer Service Staff can contact Councils Ranger directly and have her attend the location as soon as possible.


Lodging a Complaint

Complaints during business hours can be lodge at Council or via phone on (02) 6736 6000  

After Hours Complaints

Not all matters can be investigated after hours. If you have a Complaint regarding a Dog Attack or Stock out you can contact Councils on call officer on 0411 864 042. For all other complaints please call Council during business hours.

Contacting Council’s Ranger

Should you wish to speak directly with Councils Ranger Leah during business hours, please contact her via the below listed numbers.

Ranger – Leah

Phone (02) 6736 6000

Mob 0411 862 531

Email  council@tenterfield.nsw.gov.au