Becoming an Australian Citizen is something to celebrate. Citizenship Ceremonies mark this important milestone in the lives of new citizens, and formally welcome new citizens from many cultures into the Australian family.
To become an Australian Citizen:
- Most people applying for citizenship will need to pass the Citizenship Test before they lodge their Citizenship Application. You will need to make an appointment to sit the test. To do this contact the Department of Immigration & Border Protection by telephoning 131 880 or go online to Department of Immigration & Border Protection
- Once you have passed a test and met all other eligibility requirements, you can begin the application process.
- Apply for citizenship either online or by completing and lodging the required forms and paying the application fee.
- Attend an interview
- Await confirmation advice from the Department of Immigration & Border Protection that your application has been successful.
- Await advice from the Council confirming that relevant paperwork has been received and advice of the date of the next Citizenship Ceremony
- Confirm your attendance at the Ceremony (or make arrangements for a more suitable date) and advise number of guests to accompany you to your Citizenship Ceremony
- Enjoy your Ceremony with family, friends and other new Australian Citizens
Council offers new citizens the opportunity of having either a private presentation ceremony with the Mayor, or attending a special public presentation ceremony held on Australia Day.
- Executive Assistant
- Phone: 02 6736 6000
- Fax: 02 6736 6005