Fire Recovery Information

This information is for people affected by the Northern NSW Fires

Drake Community Recovery Meeting - 30 September 2019 at 2:00pm (BBQ from 1:30)

A message from the Mayor - 10 September 2019

Community Recovery Information - Northern NSW Fires - September 2019

Scrap Metal Collection - More information can be found HERE

Fact Sheets

Disaster Relief Grants Fact Sheet

Bush Fire Recovery Information - Copper Chrome Aresenate (CCA) - Burnt Timer and Ash - Fact Sheet

Bush Fire Recovery Information - Solar Panels - Fact Sheet

Bush Fire Recovery Information - Gas Bottles - Fact Sheet

Bush Fire Recovery Information - Waste Management

Property Hazards Following a Bushfire - SafeWork NSW - Fact Sheet


Media Release - Continued Until Further Notice - Boil Water Alert

Media Release - Donations - Tenterfield's Fire Emergency

Media Release - BlazeAid Returning to Tenterfield

Joint Media Release from The Hon David Littleproud MP and The Hon David Elliot MPNotice of Natural Disaster Declaration - 7 September 2019


Fire Information

If you are on Facebook, follow NSW Disaster Recovery Facebook page 

And monitor the NSW Emergency Page -

For up to date local information on fires, please go to Fires Near Me


Rural Fire Services

RFS website links below:


Legal Aid NSW

Legal Aid NSW can give you free legal advice if you are affected by storms, floods, or bushfires in New South Wales. For example, we can help if:

  • your home has been damaged by floods or fire (help is available to both owner and tenant)
  • you have insurance or repair problems
  • your job has been affected by the floods or fires
  • you need help renegotiating credit commitments due to loss of income from the disaster

What you should do - insurance claims

The insurance claims process can be tricky. Remember that you always have a right to lodge a claim and also to have your refused claim reviewed internally or independently at the Financial Ombudsman Service - your rights exist even where your insurer doesn't agree with you.

So it's a good idea to lodge an insurance claim even if you are unsure about the cover.

  • Keep a record of damage - take photos and videos where possible.
  • Carefully check the wording of their insurance policy and, if in doubt, get legal advice before speaking to claims assessors, who usually visit on site.
  • Make sure that premiums have been paid in full, or are up to date, before lodging any claim because premium shortfalls may affect payment.

Your home insurance policy may cover the costs of your temporary accommodation if you can no longer live in your home. Check with your insurer as early as possible.

If your insurer doesn’t agree with you about your claim, ask them to put their refusal in writing to you with reasons. You should get legal advice if you are unsure about your cover.

Contact us

People affected by natural disaster can contact LawAccess NSW’s dedicated Disaster Response Hotline 1800 801 529, visit our closest Legal Aid office, or contact the Insurance Law Service.


RoadInfo - Road Conditions for Northern NSW

Real time road infomation for northern NSW.

RoadInfo includes road information on the following Shire Council areas:

  • Tenterfield
  • Ballina
  • Byron
  • Kyogle
  • Tweed
  • Lismore
  • Clarence Valley
  • Richmond Valley