For latest emergency updates Click Here

Under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2011 NSW Fair Trading is the plumbing regulator in New South Wales. The Plumbing Code of Australia is the technical standard for compliance throughout NSW.

NSW Fair Trading as New South Wales’ plumbing and drainage regulator has delegated inspection and enforcement powers to Tenterfield Shire Council for all on-site plumbing and drainage work in the Tenterfield Shire.

Council will inspect and enforce works to improve plumbing and drainage compliance with current legislative requirements and regulations.

The Plumbing Code of Australia calls up AS/NZS 3500, and it has two provisions that plumbers and drainers can work to and achieve code compliance. One option is for the work to be done under the ‘Deemed to Satisfy’ provision which means that it has been done in accordance with AS/NZS 3500. The other is the performance based provision where work (usually designed by a hydraulic engineer or consultant) meets or exceeds the requirements of AS/NZS 3500.

For all enquiries, inspection fees, document submission and booking inspections (48-hours notice is required) contact Council’s Planning & Development Services on Ph 6736 6000.

A Notice of Work is to be issued to Tenterfield Shire Council, as the regulator, no later than two business days before work is commenced.

Inspections are required for the following:

  • Drainage work finished before backfilling or covering the installation.
  • Connection to Council sewer main.
  • Water supply before cladding walls and or ceilings.
  • Final inspection after completion of all works.
  • When required, reinspections of incomplete and or non-compliant works.
  • A Certificate of Compliance and Sewer Service Diagram is to be issued to the regulator and owner on completion of the final inspection.


Section 68 / Approval Forms

With regards to water supply, sewerage and stormwater drainage work plumbing approvals are required for the following:

  • Water supply work
  • Install, alter, disconnect or remove a meter connected to a service pipe
  • Sewerage work
  • Stormwater drainage work
  • Connect a private drain or sewer with a public drain or sewer under the control of a council or with a drain or sewer which connects with such a public drain or sewer.
    (extract from Local Government Act 1993)

The only works that do not require approval are emergency works and replacement of old for new works involving no additional or relocated fixtures.


Below is a list of relevant NSW Fair Trading forms: